The Florida Keys are located at the southeastern tip of the Florida peninsula just about 15 miles south of Miami and they are located in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico.
The Florida Keys are a coral cay archipelago home of a wide variety of species and some of them can be found nowhere else in the United States. The tropical climate we find in this region makes a perfect environment for natural inhabitants, but beside these common facts people don’t know much more about the amazing Florida Keys.
Do you want to know more? Here’s a list of fun facts about the Florida Keys!
1. The Florida Reef is one of the world’s largest coral reef and is 160 miles long!
2. The first bridge that connected Florida to the Florida Keys was constructed in the late 1970’s but was closed to traffic on 2008 to start restoration. It is known as the “Seven Mile Bridge”
3. Key Largo is the home of the most famous sport fishing charter: The Fantastic II
4. The Florida Keys are highly bio diverse due to the coral reefs and tropical climate.
5. After 5 attempts Diana Nyad, 64, set a world record after swimming from Havana to Key West. She was the first person to do it without a shark cage!
6. It’s the world’s preferred sport fishing destination in the world!
7. Most (if not all) of the sand found on Key West beaches was shipped from the Caribbean.
8. Cuba is only 90 miles away from Key West!
9. Key Largo’s earlier Spanish name was Cayo Largo
10. It is known as the Diving Capital of the World
11. Key Largo was mentioned in a famous song by the Beach Boys. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wHiliL4He4
12. Eco-tourism industry has become a huge part of its economy.
13. Key West has more churches than any other place in the country.
14. The Queen Conch is a protected marine specie and it is prohibited to catch it.
15. Florida has the most sea turtle nesting within the U.S.
16. Key Largo is the longest island in the Florida Keys.
17. Key Largo is now the home of the Spiegel Grove, a landing ship of the U.S. Navy that after 34 years of service was sunk to form an artificial coral reef in 2002 to become a tourist attraction for divers.
At Fantastic Charters we deeply care about the Florida Keys, that’s why we strive to offer sport fishing trips making sure we follow all rules and regulations to respect the environment and coexist in harmony with all species.
If you are looking for the best Florida Keys Sport Fishing Charter experience ever, give us a call! We are sure you won’t regret it. Our Captain Justin Hopper is so highly experienced that he’s the only angler that dares to guarantee fish!